MY LITTLE BATHTUB PORSCHE/THE DESIGN OF TODAY?

My 1967 Porsche 912 Experience:Part One






 This maybe a subject that many of you have asked yourself of late. Why did Porsche create a Boxster and then a 911 with the same stylings in mind? I know what you thinking a moderately priced Porsche for the masses only to rival the the 911? Well, let us ponder this a bit. The first generation of Porsches back in F.PORSCHE day was the bathtub 356. As we all know the classic and most sort after unit is the 356 in any form or nomenclature. The four cam marvel was the thing cafe racers only could have dreamed of back then and Ferrari took noticed as it won race after race at Le Mans. Yet,I digress. In 1965 Porsche 911 was said to be the to end all  Porsches by Car and Driver. And when I look back at my little 1967 912 sitting in my driveway on Pestalozzi street in South St.Louis in the late 80's I see nothing short of Ferry Jr. dream. The 912 was touted to be a Porsche for all men(and women),but hey, isn't all Porsches? The 912 carried over the 356 motor plant and with it's big brothers design clues to the letter.i.e.,perfect balanced engine and weight ratio. What more could you ask for at a real world price! The 912 had a four cylinder . Now we jump ahead to 1999 and the 911 mirrors the design of that "little Bathtub updated "1997 Boxster. Forget about the fact that the Boxster brought back Porsche form the brink, what we have is a auto designer template for understanding what sales,LOOKS! So if some Porsche afficionados don't get it, well again I ask ,WHAT WOULD FERRY DO??? Thanks for reading this and helping me discover my passions.




1 




All Images and Photos provided by Upsplash

I am thinking back when knew the 912 was needing in service at the time. I had to rebuild the Solex carburetor on the trusty Snead. The instructions were very clear and concise. The intricate inter-workings of the mini part of valves and jets I had to follow a strict step-by-step guide. Restoring these was essential.

So we will stay tuned to some of that weird story. in a minute.  I mean the fact that I would have never thought o the many usages  of vaseline. Okay, that did not come out the right way.Whew.
So stay tune as I conjure up ancient some memory of the past. The jets, the washers, the vaseline . Now correct me if I am wrong. The Solex meant you had to actually restore both carburetors. More on that later.

Thanks for allowing me to share the Universe with you. Until next time, Ciao.
I wonder if any of you guys may know if the Dellorto carburetors are a decent replacement for the stock Solex's. The question can be a moot point as well. We are on a platonic level with the trusted Snead.



Images provided by Unsplash

https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_button_id=2E9XZVC54Q8R2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Train Yourself To Host An Online Event: Expectations and Realities In 2022

MORE ON AUTOMOTOTIVE DESIGN:MY FAUX Pony Car