This Week's Top Stories About Life Portrait Of A Maestro: Dr. Barry Harris

My Life With Barry Harris

In the fall of 2006,  I arrived in New York City with hopes for helping a dear friend recover from cancer. The lady was someone I had known most of my live. Growing up in a small town has its advantages and the family legacy is always present. "Girl, I know your Mama, are you  Miss So and So's child, Polly?"This is what is to be expected and life goes on in perpetual motion in a small town.

New York had been a place I always wanted to see so this chance encounter of fate had made it so deliberately fitting. While myself and dear friend knew we had to get around town for her treatments and appointments and such we just jumped head in feet first. It was quite a challenge but not inhumanly impossible for the two of us. We quickly learn taxi haling and train and bus routes. The best part of discovery is just the walking. How did New Yorkers walk so eagerly is quite a mystery to probably the better of us, there is much to sightsee as tourist but we weren't! There was a purpose for our being and this was literally a fight for live.The sheer fact of keeping one's hopes up can be a daunting task for some and I get that but time is the Great Healer. We made all necessary appointments and treatment schedules without a hitch.

The is entirely off the subject but relevant to its important facts.  My unexplainable meeting with The Maestro, Barry Harris was pure fate and will forever haunt my dreams of goodness. Dr. Barry Harris shared with all of us. Barry as they say is"FUNKY". Yeah, I Said It and most new musicians today know of or heard of Barry Harris. Mr.Harris hails from Detroit and where did they say The Funk Brothers originate? Now that that is out of the way. Shall we proceed to give you what you need? 

Living on the Hudson River was a transformation. Our Building is on the river,  The Riverbend Apartments was located in the restaurant district on 43rd Avenue. The bus terminal and post office for Manhattan is in walking distance. The big cruise ships come into port for supplies in the morning and leave in the evening after loading. The musicians 802 Union was only four or five blocks away from my building. This is where I met Mr. Richard.  Richard was another piano player visiting in on the musician's  union sessions and ask me did I want to meet  one of the Greatest piano players on the planet. I could not refuse and that is where I quickly got a glimpse of my other purpose in New York. The excitement I just could not contain.

The subway stop on the upper Eastside of the many burroughs of New York City. In an upstairs building housed a rehearsal hall that sat a baby grand piano, some chairs,  and a crowd of people gathered in a circle. My newly found friend whispered something to the man in the circle showered with attention. The older gentleman motioned me over to take a seat at the piano and I fell in love with the piano all over again. The music coming from his hands was nothing short of amazing. Mr. Harris was lecturing and performing for all of us and I was in a dream state. That was the thing about Barry Harris as others will agree, he was a hands-on-deck type of guy. He gently turned in my direction and with a sharp keen eye invited me to start his masterclasses and workshops.

This was more than I had dreamed of and my reply to Mr.Harris was "I have found my teacher, thanks for having me". If you knew Barry Harris he just put that big imposing smile on and the room lights up. This is the magic of a Maestro. This is how the God's provides for the universe . The world of Barry Harris became my world as well for that brief moment.  The portrait of this Piano Wizard as he played with precision and mastery while being a humble soul fulfilled  the path of the Gurus. The path to enlightenment.  I was honored and reminded  several times that this was fate and this kind of moment only comes in once a lifetime.

I say this without any hesitation, Barry Harris vibes rubs off quickly. The sheer approximity of being in his company one feels relaxed and elite as if a member of a unique and exclusive club of celebrities.
Tonight I say special words that Mr. Barry Harris is resting soundly in the fact that so many of his students adaptation of his theories and ideologies remain steadfast today.  The Maestro at the helm guiding his flock to eternity and salvation. 

Barry Harris reminded us all that a renaissance is on the rise and be humble enough to except it. That all that will be in the future as we create a better world is our humanity and truth. I find it no coincident that Mr.Harris had invited to New York by invitation of Cannonball Adderley also another "Wise One".  This introduction still gives me chills that I knew these two great educators of the music in my time space.


"Within the confines of one's soul 
There lives a bird of red and gold
Its wings at all times set to fly,
For if it does not, it will die.
If set free, it will soar to Heights unknown to other men, Lands unseen by other eyes:
And as the beauty of the universe Unfolds, what joy the pleasure then
Of truth revealed, limitations then unsealed 
This is the Almighty's gift to you.., from "RED AND GOLD"by Barry Harris

These are the words of a great one and he gave this freely without reservation.

Barry Harris the Songwriter ; the Composer; the Mentor; the Educator; the Guru; the Sensi'; and the Maestro.  This is the  Gift Mr. Harris gave us and everlasting resolve to be spiritually awakened to our mission as artist and human beings.

A tribute is not what this is but an essay on what a impactful leader is capable of creating in such a short time space. This maybe the last time to pay respects to a legend. I provide this piece of information  to those who are able to attend. My heart goes out to Mr.Harris' family and many friends and associates. Rest well and sleep on our Sweet Prince, Dr. Barry Harris.

Images created by the author.

Images provided by Pexels

 Biography(excerpts from The Official Website)

Dr. Harris has devoted his life to the advancements of Jazz and in the 1980's founded the Jazz Cultural Theatre. For the past several decades Dr. Harris has been an exponent of the classic Jazz style that was developed by Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk and Coleman Hawkins.

Harris' earliest musical mentor was his mother who played for church and taught him his first song at the age of four. This led him studying with different teachers in Detroit. In intermediate Schoo; he played the clarinet and somehow he heard Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk and Fats Navarro. This proved to be his real love. Somewhere in the late forties he sat in with Chalies Parker and Gene Ammons at a dancehall.

Barry Harris had musicians coming from all over to study with him. To name a few Joe Henderson and Yusef Lateef, John Coltrane came to Barry's house to see how he was teaching some young students such as Charles McPherson, Lonnie Hillyer, James Jamerson, Paul Chambers and Harry Whitaker.

In the early 50's he traveled to New York City and recorded with Benny Golson, Thad Jones, Carmell Jones and others. Later he went to Chicago and record with Sonny Stitt and then with Miles Davis in Detroit. He joined Max Roach and in 1956. He went back to Detroit and then 1960 joined Cannonball Addereley's band. Barry also record with Dexter Gordon, played with Coleman Hawkins and Lester Young.

This is an excerpt taken from the BIOGRAPHY from the Official Barry Harris.com website. Please feel free to visit the site and learn more on this iconic devote educator .

Thanks for allowing me to share the mysteries of the 
 universe with you all. This was written for all that was touch by this incredible human being.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Train Yourself To Host An Online Event: Expectations and Realities In 2022

MORE ON AUTOMOTOTIVE DESIGN:MY FAUX Pony Car

Digital Marketing Made Simple: Using What You Know To Get What You Want